The Public Works Department is responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance of the City's road and stormwater drainage system. The Department also handles fleet, and equipment maintenance, sidewalk construction, vegetation control, road paving, and maintenance. Public Works also assumes the responsibility of Project Manager via the Public Works Director and the Engineering Division on all department Capital Improvement Projects. The Department's work program is supported by the County of Volusia which provides mosquito control and stormwater infrastructure improvements on an as needed basis. The City's Consulting Engineer provides services in the preparation of specifications and the design of projects supported by the Department. The Department provides a comprehensive vehicle maintenance program for City vehicles
and equipment through the Fleet Maintenance Division. In addition to the funding provided through the general fund, Public Works operations are funded by the Stormwater Utility Fund, Enterprise Fund, Transportation Fund, and CDBG Fund.
Mission Statement- "To provide quality, innovative, visually appealing and cost efficient maintenance of vehicles and equipment, public right-of-way, Stormwater drainage infrastructure and retention areas. In addition, we provide sign and signal maintenance and traffic control and calming within the City limits. Furthermore, to perform complex professional analytical office and engineering support in plan review and field engineering support for environmental, water, wastewater, stormwater, roads and drainage and other projects with the City; and to provide the residents of Deltona with exceptional customer service and respond to the needs of the community."
PUBLIC WORKS CONSISTS OF THE FOLLOWING DIVISIONS - Administrative, Customer Service, Engineering, Field Operations, Fleet Maintenance, Stormwater, NPDES, Traffic, Water and Wastewater Maintenance and Utility Operations.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
Proactively perform maintenance service in all sectors within the City limits.
- Proactively perform maintenance service in all sectors within the City limits.
- Install new sidewalks; provide routine maintenance to all existing sidewalks.
- Provide the residents of the City with means to become involved in the beautification by having a Beautification Advisory Board that meets once a month.
- Perform proactive vehicle and equipment maintenance.
- Enhance City's traffic control and street signs in the interest of safety and appearance.
- Provide in-house road striping and crosswalks within the City.
- Process all invoices, contracts, bid requests, agenda memos, supply orders and financials in a timely manner.
- Respond to all inquires for streetlighting districts.
- Respond to all inquiries for traffic calming.
- Provide high level of customer service and response to inquires on a timely basis.
- Ensure that the construction of City and private development projects are performed in accordance with approved laws and specifications.
- Conduct field inspections of public and private projects on a continual basis to determine compliance with City codes, specifications, and standards.
- Liaison and coordinate with contractors, engineers, owners and developers during the construction process through completion and certifications.
- Review and approval of engineering plans and specifications for City and private projects.
- Participate in and coordinate DRC reviews and approval process and serve as a member of the DRC.